Looking in the review mirror, it seems like winter loosened its grip ages ago. We finally landed in full swing of summer. Coats, hats, and mittens have been retired for hassle-free days. No more wrestling with bulky materials just to step outside to reach the car. Farragut Dry Cleaners loves summertime and all of the clothing and accessories accompanying long, carefree days.
If your summer wardrobe is back in your closet now and vacation peeks around the corner, it’s time to consider how to prepare and how to pack for any trip.
How to Prepare and What to Pack
Are you standing at your closet, stroking your chin, wondering where to start for your next getaway? Farragut Dry Cleaners has some ideas on What to pack and how to prepare for your next trip.
- Sunscreen - This one hits the travelers the most. It also can be one of the hardest stains to tackle. With a little determination, you may be able to keep it under control.
- Wipe off any excess lotion as soon as you can. Make sure to pack baking soda and sprinkle it on the garment to wick out the excess grease. Soak your clothing in a water/dishwashing mixture for an hour. Wash as usual. (Bonus tip – if necessary, pick up a rust stain remover from the laundry aisle in the grocery store and follow instructions.)
- Grass - Soccer, football, or wrestling on the lawn promise to leave a green-stained memory on your kids’ once sparkling white top.
- If you want to restore those threads back to brand-new quality, pre-soak the clothes with a few drops of dish soap concentrated on the discoloration. Take a soft-bristled brush and start scrubbing the stain in a circular motion. If the green doesn’t diminish, step it up and soak the garment in ½ part water and ½ part vinegar for 30 minutes. Then rinse the clothing and wash.
- Summer dresses. This one’s a no-brainer if you’re going to be running out to dinner on a cozy evening by the beach. Find a couple of dresses that can work for a breezy meal on the patio and serve as the perfect coverup at the beach. One thing that may not have crossed your mind is if that dress doesn’t seem just right, you can bring it to Farragut Dry Cleaners for a quick alteration. There’s no reason to buy a new wardrobe when you can liven up your dress with a few quick adjustments.
- Cotton or linen shirts. Think light and easy, and pack a few shirts that fit the bill. Shirts will be an everyday wear item, so fold up a few to place in your bags for your big trip. If you find your favorite linen button-down top tucked in the darkest recesses of your closet, you can bring it to Farragut Dry Cleaners to clean and work the wrinkles out. Or, just like the dresses, if the fit doesn’t suit you perfectly, get a quick alteration, so you look your best on your trip.
- Swimsuit. If your family plans on spending any time near the water, a bathing suit must top your list. Women may want to consider a one-piece, especially near the ocean or with rough water activities, to make sure the suit stays put!
- Hat and sunglasses. You mustn’t ignore accessories for traveling! Wearing a hat shades your head, and sunglasses protect your eyes. Beyond protecting you, they also add some flair to your outfit.
- Scarf. This one may not cross your mind at first. But, adding a scarf can complete your look, protecting your neck from the intense sun adds a benefit to your skin. Scarves don’t just complete a woman’s look, men may also add an element of sophistication by selecting the perfect lightweight scarf. Your scarf may be made of delicate material. If so, check with Farragut Dry Cleaners, and we can review dry cleaning services.
After working with Farragut Dry Cleaners and packing up all the clothing essentials for your trip, tossing in a small sewing kit may save you some grief while sightseeing. Popping a button can easily be triaged if you simply remember to pack a needle and some thread to perform a quick field repair. On top of that, arming yourself with those items could also save embarrassment if a seam decides to split while you stretch a bit too far on the dance floor.
All good things must come to an end. Vacations are no exception. When you settle into a stress-free trip, it’ll be time to pack back up and head home. After you take a moment to collapse on the couch and recuperate, you might remember that the linen shirt you just altered and your summer dresses are jumbled up into dirty balls of laundry in your bags. Pull your packed goods out and bring them over to Farragut Dry Cleaners for a quick cleaning or even repairs from damage sustained during those jam-packed activities.
With adventures come stains. Be sure to tell us if you sustained any particular soiling so we can work to wash it out. Sunscreen and wine stains surely carry stories, but you can keep those in your mind and not you’re clothing.
Farragut Dry Cleaners hopes everyone takes advantage of the all-too-short summer season. Carefree days and nights bonding by the bonfire creates memories that stick with you for years to come. By thoughtfully preparing before a big adventure, there won’t be any panic that you forgot your favorite top or that your pants seemingly shrunk since last year. Soak up the longest days of the year because it’ll be time to don the winter gear once again before you know it.
Farragut Cleaners is your locally owned and operated full-service dry cleaner. From dry cleaning to alterations and wedding dress preservation to home textiles, we are here to keep you fresh, clean, and looking & feeling impeccable.
Call 865-966-9414 or visit our website.